Wednesday 13 September 2017

Invasion of the hatchback.

Sitting in Bible Study with the others praying as we are finishing off. I hear voices coming from outside possibly a little raised but think nothing of it. We finish off and Paula goes off to get the car so that those of us who are leaving can go. Ellie, whose house we are at helps us get ready to leave. Those of us who are going with Paula are Gwen who is 91 years old, my mother Kathleen, my sister Rebekah and myself.
Paula had the car ready to go, it was a 3 door hatchback, so we put the front passenger seat forward and mum clambered into the car, next in was Rebekah and she stayed in the middle of the back, finally I got into the back. Next the passenger seat was returned to the normal position and Ellie helped Gwen get in. Paula got ready to drive off , but now there were a couple of guys running around around in the street. So Paula tried to lock the doors, she got hers locked but just missed out on locking Gwens. The next thing you know one of the guys has the door open and plonks himself on the floor in front of Gwen. My memory gets a bit confused here, I remember that Paula was some of the time pounding him on the back with her hands, Gwen was saying “Get off, your hurting my legs”. The man was saying “You know I would never meant to hurt you”. Meanwhile the other guy is running round and round the car, so the guy in the car will not get out.
Ellie goes inside to ring the police and my mum gets out her mobile phone and rings as well. She is calmly explaining what is going on and suddenly, I hear a more urgent note in her voice “He's got a baseball bat”. I thought no he doesn't, but then I looked up and saw the guy running around the car holding one (Rebekah later said that at the time she thought 'this is Australia, we have cricket bats not baseball bats').
Pretty soon after this the police turned up and dealt with the two men. We were visibly shaken but all in one peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment